Norfolk council salary, expenses released
Remuneration and expense costs for Norfolk County Council in 2014 have been released. (Contributed photo)
Norfolk County spent $340,546 on council and council appointees to committees, boards and commissions in 2012.
Amount range from $59,600 remuneration plus $6,506 in expenses for Mayor Dennis Travale to $25 in expenses for Annie Zaluski, who sits on the Waterford Heritage and Agricultural Museum's advisory committee.
Travale was provided an additional $600 per diem and $306 in expenses to sit on the Long Point Region Conservation Authority as well as $7,025 as a member of the Norfolk Power Inc. board of directors.
Norfolk County council and council appointees earned the following in 2012:
• Coun. Roger Geysens earned $25,000 on council plus $1,567 in expenses and an additional $5,304 from the Long Point Region Conservation Authority including $2,100 in remuneration, $504 in expenses and $2,700 per diem.
• Coun. Peter Black earned $25,000 as a county councillor and $3,666 in expenses. He also earned $3,142 for sitting on Norfolk Power Inc.'s board of directors.
• Coun. Mike Columbus earned $26,846 on council plus $1,857 in expenses. He also received $1,410 from the Long Point Region Conservation Authority ($1,080 per diem and $330 in expenses).
• Coun. John Wells earned $25,000 for sitting on council and claimed no expenses, but did earn $4,058 on the Norfolk Power Inc. board of directors.
• Coun. Jim Oliver earned $25,154 from sitting on council, plus $1,916 in expenses.
• Coun. Betty Chanyi earned $25,000 for sitting on council plus $1,670 in expenses. She received an additional $1,318 on the Long Point Region Conservation Authority ($900 per diem and $418 in expenses).
• Coun. Harold Sonnenberg earned $25,000 in 2012 plus $1,214 in expenses.
• Coun. Charlie Luke earned $25,000 while sitting on council plus $320 in expenses.
• Alligator Tug Advisory Committee: David Woods collected $300 in expenses.
• Board of Management (Delhi) Central BIA: Susie Huyge earned $1,000.
• Committee of Adjustment:
Rick Barker, $2,400 per diem and $832 in expenses.
Dan Ciona, $1,500 per diem and $755 in expenses.
Jim Malcolm, $600 per diem and $145 in expenses.
John Pringle, $1,800 per diem.
Rudy Stickl, $1,200 per diem and $176 in expenses.
Ernest Szeider, $1,650 per diem and $72 in expenses.
Dennis Tschirhart, $1,350 per diem and $227 in expenses.
Marcel VanHooren, $1,650 per diem and $603 in expenses.
• Court of Revision:
Rick Barker, $300 per diem and $50 expenses.
Jim Malcolm, $150 per diem and $32 expenses.
John Pringle $150 per diem.
Rudy Stickl, $150 per diem and $8 expenses.
Dennis Tschirhart, $300 per diem and $31 expenses.
Marcel VanHooren, $150 per diem, $15 expenses.
• Haldimand-Norfolk Housing Corporation:
John Cruickshank, $209 in expenses.
Ken Lishman, $201 in expenses.
Jeff Miller, $278 in expenses.
Jim Pond, $348 in expenses.
• Norfolk County Police Services Board:
David Douglas, $4,000, plus $1,544 in expenses.
Peter Hellyer, $5,200, plus $1,714 in expenses.
David Murphy, $1,231.
Roger Vermeulen, $2,769.
• Norfolk County Public Library Board:
Carol Defields, $238 in expenses.
Gerry Kott, $66 in expenses.
Linda Lammens, $198 in expenses.
Jeff Miller, $268 in expenses.
Thomas Morrison, $546 in expenses.
• Norfolk Heritage Committee:
Laurie McGregor, $263 in expenses.
Margaret Zavaros, $51 in expenses.
• Win-Del Park Committee:
Dave Gilbert, $156 in expenses.
Do Norfolk taxpayers get good value for their dollar from councillors and appointees?
Time will tell