Docs wrap up voting on tentative deal
Concerned Ontario Doctors held a rally in Toronto last month to protest negotiations between the Ontario Medical Association and the provincial government. (JACK BOLAND, Toronto Sun)
Ontario residents find out this week whether doctors have a four-year deal with the provincial government.
Ontario doctors voted Sunday on a tentative agreement that would provide them an annual 2.5% fee hike in each of the four years of the proposed contract.
The province and the Ontario Medical Association reached an agreement that would increase Ontario’s $11.5 billion physicians services budget to $12.9 billion by 2020. They also agreed on provisions to allow doctors to manage the system with the Ministry of Health.
The province says the deal will boost the access, quality and timeliness of patient care.
Dr. Virginia Walley, president of the OMA has said the physician services agreement “isn’t perfect” but will allow predictability.
She cautioned rejection of the contract could lead to more cuts to funding for physician services.
The group, Concerned Ontario Doctors, has urged colleagues to vote against the deal saying it still doesn’t provide proper funding and ignores inflation.
Messages on the Concerned Ontario Doctors Twitter account on Sunday read: “Your patients are counting on you,” and “Ontario docs have the good sense to turn this disaster down”.
OMA spokesman Nadia Daniell-Colarossi said there were 700 delegates at the organization’s general meeting Sunday at Toronto’ Allstream Centre.
“There are presentations, people are speaking freely and sharing opinions,” she said.
The OMA has more than 40,000 members, many who would have voted by proxy.