News

Fright-fest on Leslie Avenue

By Monte Sonnenberg, Simcoe Reformer

Port Dover illusionist Lucas Wilson will play host to a three-day fright-fest at his home on Leslie Avenue this Halloween. Visitors are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items in aid of the Port Dover & Area Life Line Food Bank. MONTE SONNENBERG / SIMCOE REFORMER

Port Dover illusionist Lucas Wilson will play host to a three-day fright-fest at his home on Leslie Avenue this Halloween. Visitors are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items in aid of the Port Dover & Area Life Line Food Bank. MONTE SONNENBERG / SIMCOE REFORMER

PORT DOVER  - 

Port Dover illusionist Lucas Wilson doesn’t pass up many opportunities to give kids a thrill.

This Halloween is no exception.

In what is shaping up to be a new tradition in Port Dover, Wilson will again play host to a series of fright-night features at his home on Leslie Avenue.

Wilson has set aside three nights at the end of the month for a high-tech display of Halloween scares and laughs. Wilson has checked out some truly over-the-top spook houses in his time so he emphasizes that he intends to keep this one family-friendly.

Along the way, Wilson will provide an opportunity to help the Port Dover & Area Life Line Food Bank.

“We’re going for cartoony-creepy,” Wilson says. “You’re not going to run away crying. We don’t want families worried about blood, guts and gore. We are not going to scar anyone for life.”

Wilson’s training is in theatre and performing is his career, so he is up on the latest in high-tech sights, sounds and gadgetry for an event such as this.

Many of his skeleton displays are air- and pneumatic-driven. He has also synchronized a light show to accompany an audio selection of Halloween classics such as The Monster Mash, Thriller, Ghostbusters and The Time Warp.

“I just love Halloween,” Wilson says. “I have always loved decorating for Halloween. Now that I’m an adult there are these amazing forums on the Internet for haunters. I’ve learned a lot.”

A total of 1,300 visitors came to Wilson’s place over three days during the inaugural haunt last year. Of these, 400 were trick-or-treaters.

Anyone wishing to help the Port Dover food bank is asked to bring non-perishable food items.

Wilson’s fright-night adventure will take place over three nights at 22 Leslie Avenue.

The event will be held 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 28 and Sunday, Oct. 29. Wilson takes a break on Monday, Oct. 30, but re-opens for Halloween Tuesday, Oct. 31, from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Wilson has posted a 30-second promotional video for the event at Facebook.com/leslieskeletons.

MSonnenberg@postmedia.com