The RCMP will release the 18 seconds it edited out of Parliament Hill terrorist Michael Zehaf-Bibeau’s pre-attack video.
Commissioner Bob Paulson told a Senate committee meeting he will make the footage public in about two weeks, iPolitics reports.
On Oct. 22, 2014, right before he gunned down Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, 24, at the National War Memorial and stormed Parliament’s Centre Block, Zehaf-Bibeau sat in a parked car several blocks away and recorded himself describing his motivation as retaliation for Canada’s military role in Afghanistan and Iraq.
"Canada’s officially become one of our enemies by fighting and bombing us and creating a lot of terror in our countries and killing us and killing our innocents," a calm Zehaf-Bibeau, 32, says on the barely audible cellphone video. "So just aiming to hit some soldiers just to show that you’re not even safe in your own land, and you gotta be careful."
Paulson played the minute-long video in the House of Commons in March but said 18 seconds had been edited out for what he called "reasonable and sound operational reasons."
Discussing the edits could jeopardize the ongoing investigation, he told reporters at the time.