Two trials set for January
A well-known Sudbury track coach and his female protegee who were charged in 2017 with several counts of sexual assault are headed to trial in January.
David Case, 57, has a judge-alone Superior Court trial for some of his charges that will get underway on Jan. 13. Five days of court time have been booked.
Case and Celine Loyer, 30, will then have a judge-alone Superior Court trial set for Jan. 27. Five days of court time have been booked for that trial.
The two dates were set in assignment court at the Sudbury Courthouse earlier this year.
Before the two trials, court time has been booked for Dec. 2 to deal with any challenges under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms the defence lawyers may file.
A day of court time for motions related to the two cases, meanwhile, was held on Sept. 11.
Toronto lawyer Nicholas Xynnis is representing Case, while local lawyer Michael Haraschuk is representing Loyer.
Case is now facing eight charges — six counts of sexual assault, one count of assault, and one count of assault causing bodily harm — that concern alleged incidents on Aug. 1, 1984, June 27, 1988, Oct. 1, 2009, and June 17, 2011.
Loyer is facing two charges of sexual assault concerning alleged incidents on Oct. 1, 2009, and June 17, 2011.
Case and Loyer were both committed to trial following a preliminary hearing in the fall of 2018.
Case coached Loyer when she was a sprinter with the DSSG Athletics Club in the late 2000s and maintained a connection with her in subsequent years.
The pair was arrested a day apart in late February 2017 following a Greater Sudbury Police investigation the month before. Police described the two as “common accused persons” in a release, meaning both were implicated by a complainant in an alleged assault.
A source told The Star in early 2017 that a female victim complained years ago of an assault involving the accused, but was reluctant to testify and police did not pursue charges at that time. The source said another victim came forward more recently.
Kaitlyn Dunn, a Greater Sudbury Police spokeswoman, said the alleged incidents took place in 2009 and 2011, but were reported to police in January of 2017.